In this article, we will study kanji 会 and learn some words and verbs where it is used. This kanji means “Find and Gather”, several words related to groups and societies usually use this kanji.
Kanji 会 is the 4th most used in newspapers in Japan. It is considered an N4 kanji in JLPT. More than 1000 words have this Kanji.
- Kun yomi: あ.う、 あ.わせる、 あつ.まる
- On yomi: カイ、 エ
- In Names: あい、 い
- Radical: 人
- Traits: 6
This kanji is easy to decorate, has few readings, most of the words that contain 会 are pronounced “kai”.
We must be careful not to confuse kanji 会 with kanji 合, they are very similar, and have the same readings and some verbs and words with similar meanings.
- 会う (au) - Meet, see, come across, face, encounter something;
- 会うわせる - Do find (know), present;
- 会わす - Causative form of the verb 会う - to find
Words that begin with 会
- 会 - Kai - Reunion, Clube (Noun)
- 会議 - Kaigi - Conference, meeting
- 会話 - Kaiwa - Conversation
- 会員 - Kaiin - Member
- 会見 - Kaiken - Interview
- 会長 - Kaichō - President
Words ending with 会
- 社会 - Shakai - Society, community
- 宴会 - Enkai - Banquet
- 機会 - Kikai - Chance, chance, another time.
- 大会 - Taikai - Tournament, convention, big meeting
Words related to Places
Kanji 会 has several words related to places:
- 会社 - Kaisha - Company; corporation / workplace
- 教会 - Kyōkai - Church
- 会堂 - Kaidō - Synagogue; chapel; church; tabernacle
- 議会 - Gikai - Congress; parliament
- 会館 - Kaikan - Meeting room
- 都会 - Tokai - City
- 学会 - Gakai - Gym, Society
社会 (Shakai) means society, but if we just invert the kanji we create 会社 (Kaisha) which means company or company.
- 会を脱退する - Kai o dattai suru - He will leave the meeting
- 会を抜ける - kai o nukeru - Leave the Club
- 来月お会いしましょう. - Raigetsu or ai shimashou. - See you next month.
- 明日会社でね - Ashita kaishade ne - See you at the office tomorrow.
The best way to memorize kanji is to read as much content as possible. We recommend creating sentences using the verb 会う or some of the words examined in this article. As an exercise, you can comment on a sentence to help you and other students.