Japanese studio Studio Ghibli (スタジオジブリ, sutajio jiburi) is currently one of the largest animation studios in the world and almost every year an animation from the studio is nominated for an Oscar, most of the studio's films are among the Japan's most profitable. Studio Ghibli's animations address very important themes such as ecological themes, wars, depression and more. Most of the films at Studio Ghibli use themes related to Japanese culture and myths.
The idea of creating an animation studio came from Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata in 1974 when the two were working on the production of the anime Heidi Arupusu no Shojo Haiji (アルプスの少女ハイジ) which in Brazil was called “Heidi”. In this production the two friends had noticed that to create a good animation the time is essential and that was what they needed, a medium where the deadlines were long and not short, like the deadlines for anime episodes released weekly. This was how Studio Ghibli was founded, which was founded by Hayao Miyazaki, Isao Takahata, Toshio Suzuki and Yasuyoshi Tokuma on June 15, 1985 and in 1992 the construction of a new headquarters located in Koganei, Tokyo was completed.
Studio Ghibli's first film was Tenkû no Shiro Rapyuta (天空の城ラピュタ) which in Brazil was called “O Castelo no Céu” released in 1986 and two years later in 1988 two more films were released simultaneously that were Hotaru no Haka (火垂るの墓) called in Brazil as “Cemitério dos fireflies” and Tonari no Totoro (となりのトトロ) ”Meu Amigo Totoro”, the other studios were amazed at the quality of the two animations that it is difficult to release two films from the same studio same time with good quality, but Studio Ghibli did it. Totoro became so popular and charismatic that it became part of the studio's logo.
List of films from Studio Ghibli
- 1986 - The Castle in the Sky - Fantasy / Action;
- 1988 - Cemetery of Fireflies - Drama / Drama;
- 1988 - Meu Amigo Totoro - Drama / Fantasy;
- 1989 - The Kiki Delivery Service - Fantasia / Drama;
- 1991 - Memories of Yesterday - Drama / Romance;
- 1992 - Porco Rosso: The Last Romantic Hero - Fantasy / Drama;
- 1993 - I Can Hear the Ocean - Drama / Romance;
- 1994 - Pom Poko - The Great Battle of Raccoons - Fantasy / Drama;
- 1995 - Whispers of the Heart - Drama / Romance;
- 1997 - Princess Mononoke - Fantasy / Drama;
- 1999 - My neighbors, Os Yamadas - Comedy / Animation;
- 2001 - Spirited Away - Fantasy / Mystery;
- 2002 - The Kingdom of Cats - Fantasy / Drama;
- 2004 - The Animated Castle - Fantasy / Drama;
- 2006 - Tales from Terramar - Fantasia / Drama;
- 2008 - Ponyo - A Friendship That Came from the Sea - Fantasy / Drama;
- 2010 - The World of Little Children - Fantasia / Fantasia;
- 2011 - Da Kokuriko Hill - Drama / Romance;
- 2013 - Lives in the Wind - Drama / Romance;
- 2013 - The Tale of Princess Kaguya - Fantasy / Drama;
- 2014 - Marnie's Memories - Mystery / Drama;
Currently Studio Ghibli has a great influence on Japanese culture and trade. The animation studio has won so many fans that the trade and animation is only growing, a proof of this is the Ghibli Museum, which receives over 650 thousand visitors during the year and the trend is that these numbers will only increase.