Do you know how personalities speak in Japanese? Have you heard of Japanese personalities deredere? You probably must have heard about tsundere, yandere, kuudere and dandere. In this article we will talk about Japanese personalities.
If you've ever watched anime, you probably have met a character with a strong and different personality. In this article we’ll talk a little bit about each type of Dere, their origin and some examples of anime characters with these personalities.
In addition to the deredere, we will share a list of words that describe personalities in Japanese. To help navigate this article, let's leave a summary. I hope you like it and share it with friends. xD
What does Deredere mean?
It became a big cliche in anime put characters representing some of these Japanese personalities, the most popular being girls tsundere. These characteristics are distinct and original and the Japanese are the only ones who classify them.
All of these 4 personalities mentioned are related to loving feelings. Let's start by looking at the most neutral of them, the dere that gave rise to everything. It is a Japanese onomatopoeia meaning deredere.
THE onomatopoeia Japanese DEREDERE [デレデレ] expresses a kind and passionate feeling. The word Deredere refers to an energetic, cheerful and kind person with other people around. They are literally lovely girls.
The other personalities who also carry half of the onomatopoeia deredere, usually mixes another type of personality, but it remains kind to TV viewers, or such a strange feature becomes cute.
Some examples of totally lovable characters and deredere and the Minori Kushieda de Toradora, an energetic, cute and totally cheerful girl. We can also cite for example the Miyuki Takara Lucky Star and Haruka Morishima of Amagami.
What does Tsundere mean?
Among the personalities derived from dere, a tsundere is the most popular of anime. He is a cold, violent, irritating person, but deep down he has feelings but cannot show them.
Tsundere is a combination of onomatopoeia tsuntsun [ツンツン] and deredere [デレデレ]. Tsuntsun is the onomatopoeia for “distant; melancholy; stuck ”while deredere as we have already mentioned, it is kind.
There is also a male version for people with this personality, but with a stronger attitude, called Oranyan. Among the most famous Tsundere characters, we have the Taiga and Toradora.
Tsundere is so important that it has already been portrayed as a main feature of characters MOE, although it is generally not so. I agree that I am attracted to characters that demonstrate the tsuntsun.
Tsundere Character List
See below for a list of characters tsundere popular in anime:
- Misaka Mikoto (To Aru Kagaku no Railgun)
- Aisaka Taiga (Toradora!)
- Serizawa Fumino (Mayoi Neko Overrun!)
- Senjogahara Hitagi (Bakemonogatari)
- Naruko Anjou (Anohana)
- Azunyan (K-ON!)
- Minami Shimada (Baka to Test)
- Katsura Hinagiku (Hayate no Gotoku)
- Asuka Langley (Evangelion)
- Sanzenin Nagi (Hayate no Gotoku)
- Louise Françoise Le Blanc de La Vallière (Familiar of Zero)
- Shana (Shakugan no Shana)
- Aria Holmes Kanzaki (Aria the Scarlet Ammo)
- Hiiragi Kagami (Lucky Star)
- Haqua du Rot Herminium (World Only God Knows)
- Vegeta (Dragon Ball)
- Kurisu Makise (Steins; Gate)
- Ayuzawa Misaki (Maid-Sama!)
- Mio Akiyama (K-on!)
- Izumi Akazawa (Another)
- Tsukasa Ayatsuji (Amagami)
- Usami Masamune (Mayo Chiki!)
- Kanna Tanigawa (Waiting in the Summer)
- Yui Kotegawa (To Love-Ru)
- Yui (Angel Beats!)
- Houki Shinonono (IS-Infinite Stratos -)
- Kyou Fujibayashi (Clannad)
- Minko Tsurugi (Hanasaku Iroha)
- Suiseiseki (Rozen Maiden)
- Victorique de Blois (Gosick)
- Mio Isurugi (MM!)
- Minase Iori (Idol Master)
- Rin Tosaka (Fate / stay night)
- Corporal Giroro (Keroro Gunso)
- Airi Sena (Mashiroiro Symphony)
- Yui Funami (YuruYuri)
- Shinku (Rozen Maiden)
- Tainaka Ritsu (K-on!)
- Aoba Tsukishima (Cross Game)
- Suigintou (Rozen Maiden)
- Yuzan Kaibara (Oishinbo)
- Zakuro (Otome Yokai Zakuro)
- Asuna Kagurazaka (Negima!)
- Hiyoko Tamaizumi (We Without Wings)
- Maka Albarn (Soul Eater)
- Kotoko Aihara (Kiss Itazura na)
- Revi (Black Lagoon)
- Ogi Chika (Genshiken)
- Retsu Kai - (Grappler Baki)
- Haruko Amay (Maken-ki!)
What does Yandere mean?
The onomatopoeia yandere [ヤンデレ] comes from the verb yanderu [病んでる] which means a sick person. That is, a person who is madly in love, crazy about someone capable of doing things like killing, and can become violent even with the loved one.
Her personality is initially kind, pleasant and does anything for the loved one. There is also another term called Yangire which refers to girls who suddenly become violent not out of love but out of trauma or something.
Character List Yandere
See below for a list of characters yandere popular in anime:
- Minase Yuka (11 eyes)
- Akazawa Izumi (Another)
- Ogura Yumi (Another)
- Sugiura Takako (Another)
- Himeji Mizuki (Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu)
- Kirishima Shouko (Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu)
- Hotarubi (Basilisk)
- Kagerou (Basilisk)
- Asakura Miu (Bungaku shoujo)
- Ophelia (Claymore)
- Shiro (Deadman Wonderland)
- Takami Minatsuki (Deadman Wonderland)
- Harima Mika (Durarara)
- Niekawa Haruna (Durarara)
- Yagiri Namie (Durarara)
- Nana (Elfen Lied)
- Lucy (Elfen Lied)
- Mariko (Elfen Lied)
- Killed Sakura (Fate / stay night)
- Phryne (Fractale)
- Kagura (Gintama)
- Harminia (Gosick)
- Elsa DeSica (Gunslinger Girl)
- Yasuri Nanami (Katanagatari)
- Oginome Ringo (Mawaru Penguindrum)
- Will of Abyss (Pandora Hearts)
- Charlotte (Pandora Hearts)
- Shinohara Wakaba (Revolutionary Girl Utena)
- Suigintou (Rozen Maiden)
- Tohno Akiha (Shingetsutan Tsukihime)
- Kiryuu Moeka (Steins; Gate)
- Fuyou Kaede (Shuffle)
- Lambdadelta (Umineko)
- Ushiromiya Rosa (Umineko)
- Ushiromiya Maria (Umineko)
- Nakahara Misaki (NHK)
What does Dandere mean?
Dandere [ダンデレ] refers to people with a quiet personality, but super discreet and silent, opening up only to people of confidence after many difficulties. It is someone who is antisocial and withdrawn.
Despite these problems, dandere shows a sweet, soft and romantic side. Its origin comes from the word damnari [だんまり] which means silent and one who speaks little. Dandere are silent for their shame and Shyness.
Character List Dandere
See below for a list of characters dandere popular in anime:
- Hinata Hyuga (Naruto)
- Mathilda Alster (Beyblade)
- Haruka Nogizaka (Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu)
- Misaki Etou (Dragon Crisis!)
- Mikuru Asahina (Suzumiya Haruhi no Yūutsu)
- Shiomiya Shiori (Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai)
- Kotomi Ichinose, Nagisa Furukawa (CLANNAD)
- Shinobu Maehara (Love Hina)
- Sae Nakata (Amagami SS)
- Wendy Marvell (Fairy Tail)
- Aries (Fairy Tail)
- Mizore Shirayuki (Rosario + Vampire)
- Kazane Hiyori (Sora no Otoshimono)
- Mio Kitahara (Natsu Year of Matteru)
- Itsuwa (To Aru Majutsu no Index)
- Hina Sakai (Hoshizora and Kakaru Hashi)
- Yakumo Tsukamoto (School Rumble)
- Aoi Futaba (Asobi ni Iku yo!)
- Mio Akiyama (K-ON!)
- Sawako Kuronuma (Kimi ni Todoke)
- Kiri Komori (Sayonara Zetsubō Sensei)
- Yoshino (Date A Live)
- Historia Reiss (Shingeki no Kyojin)
- Anri Sonohara (Durarara !!)
What does Kuudere mean?
Kuudere [クーデレ] refers to people with a cold, indifferent and expressionless personality, a person with a lack of emotions looking like a robot. They are discreet and silent, and sometimes do not understand their own emotions.
Kuudere is the combination of the words kuuru (クール), which is a gairaigo of the English word cool which means cool, cold, calm and cool. In short, she is a character who acted indifferent while in love.
Character List kuudere
See below for a list of characters kuudere popular in anime:
- CC (Code Geass)
- Riza Hawkeye (Fullmetal Alchemist)
- Raiden (the Metal Gear series)
- Naoto Shirogane (Persona 4)
- Presea Combatir (Tales of Symphonia)
- Homura Akemi (Puella Magi Madoka Magica)
- Sesshōmaru (Inuyasha))
- Shiki Ryougi (Kara no Kyoukai)
- Koneko Toujou (HighSchool DxD)
- Yayoi Kunizuka (Psycho-Pass)
- Origami Tobiichi (Date A Live)
- Carla (Fairy Tail)
- Byakuya Kuchiki (Bleach)
- Tabitha (Zero No Tsukaima)
- Sailor Pluto (Sailor Moon)
- Fate Testarossa (Mahou Shojou Lyrical Nanoha)
- Baba (Ojamajo Doremi)
- Ikaros (Heaven's Lost Property)
- Ange Ushiromiya (Umineko: When they Cry)
- Freudia Neuwahl (Rosenkreuzstilette)
- Mara Jade Skywalker (Star Wars: Expanded Universe)
- Setsuna Higashi (Fresh Pretty Cure)
- Raven (Teen Titans)
- Yuri Tsukikage (HeartCach Pretty Cure)
- Alice Shiratori (Moetan)
- Aisa Himegami (To aru majutsu no Index)
- Piccolo (Dragon Ball Z)
Other types of deredere
Kamidere - A person who likes to be treated as a deity, who wants to be above everything, above everyone. You tend to believe that you are the most perfect and infallible, and that you should receive special attention and priority.
Himedere - Refers to girls who likes to command and govern others. Most of the times she is the daughter of rich people, and has a little tsundere personality.
Undere - ウンデレ - A friendly person who agrees with everything, answers most of the times “Un - うん” (which is a yes, an agreement) or sometimes with “sodayone - そーだよね” (That's right, that's right).
Coo-dere - クーデレ - It refers to a person with a friendly personality and at the same time cold. Example: Suzumiya Haruhi is an energetic and friendly person and at the same time cold.
List of personalities in Japanese
Now let's share a list of general Japanese personalities. In the list you will have some expressions already conjugated, adjectives without conjugation. It is recommended to do more research on the words before using them.
You can usually use na-hito [な人] after the adjective to say that she is a person with a certain characteristic. In some cases you can use no-aru [のある] to say that the person has a certain characteristic.
|大望のある||taimou no aru||ambitious|
|自信のある||jishin no aru||self-confident|
|ビール腹のある人||biiru bara at aru hito||beer belly|
|カリスマ性のある||karisumasei no aru||charismatic|
|創造力のある||souzouryoku no aru||creative|
|好奇心の強い||koukishin no tsuyoi||curious|
|決断力のある||ketsudan no aru||decisive|
|のんびりした人||nonbiri shita hito||cold|
|マリファナを吸う人||marifana wo suu hito||marijuana smoker|
|想像力のある||souzouryoku no aru||imaginative|
|頭がいい||atama ga ii||intelligent|
|直観力のある||chokkanryoku no aru||intuitive|
|論理的思考のある人||ronritekishikou no aru hito||logical thinker|
|頭の回転がいい||atama at kaiten ga ii||quick thinking|
|洞察力のある||dousatsuryoku no aru||perceptive|
|直接に言う人||chokusetsu ni iu hito||simple|
|才能のある||sainou no aru||talented|
|人見知り||hitomishiri||shy around strangers|
|天性の指導者||tensei no shidousha||born leader|
|精力家||seiryokka||full of vigor|
|迫力にあふれる人||hakuryoku ni afureru hito||directed|
|天然の人||Tennen no hito||elegant|
|流行に敏感||ryuukou ni binkan||Modern|
|感じやすい人||kanji yasui hito||sensitive|
Videos about deredere personalities
To end the article, we will share some videos that talk about this subject of tsundere, yandere, kuudere and dandere: