Do you know what cliche means? This idiom is used to say that something becomes very predictable, has worn out or has lost its meaning. Anime is full of repetitive cliches. In this article, we will try to make a complete list with all the anime cliches.
There are so many cliches that we get lost trying to remember them all. I hope this list shows cliches that you never imagined. Some clichés are quite obvious, others go unnoticed.
Overused anime cliches
Run – Several anime scenes show the characters running as if they were in a marathon. This mostly happens in openings. Not to mention when they run late to school with bread in their mouths.
Food Obsession Cliché – There are so many characters who eat non-stop or swallow everything in one mouthful. One of the highlights is Luffy from One Piece.
The dark sound of cicadas – In most anime during the summer, you can hear an ominous sound of cicadas singing, I was there in the summer and I couldn't hear that much.
Tsunderes – It is always necessary to have a tsundere or some deredere in some anime. A must-have cliché in all anime.
The Protagonist does not have a mother or father – When they are not dead, probably the creator is too lazy to add relatives to the protagonist.
Bad guys get good - In most shonen anime some evil character ends up being good. I think this is common in Japanese culture, as there, peace prevails. I think this is difficult to do in Western works.
Filler episodes – Most anime needs to be an unnecessary and extra episode to take up space.
Anime cliches involving Fan Service
The main anime cliches appeal to the young viewers' impulses to awaken. So we found a lot fan service in anime. Some of these clichés are:
Girls with giant breasts – I see no need to add such a giant chest bigger than the body. It's enough for most Japanese women to be busty in anime.
grope breasts – Apparently Japanese women like to grope their friend's chest, I didn't have the opportunity to see this scene in real life, but in anime it happens all the time.
Harem – Most anime have a harem, several girls in love with the protagonist and most of the time he ends up with none.
Bloody nose - One of the biggest anime cliches, the characters end up suffering a nosebleed just by seeing a woman with little clothes or in a sensual pose. (We recommend reading our article on nosebleeds by clicking here.)
episode on the beach – Every anime needs to have an episode on the beach to complete the cliché tradition.
attack men out of nowhere – Girls often throw punches and kicks that move the protagonist 500m and make his soul come out. This happens most of the time unnecessarily just because the character saw the panties or felt the girl's breasts. At other times, the girl appears naked in front of him and he doesn't get beaten...
Episode at the hot springs – The episodes in the hot springs can't be missed either, where a boy always ends up entering the girls' bath by mistake or hears inappropriate things through the wall.
Read too: Onsen - Natural Hot Springs of Japan
Anime Cliches involving Fight
Thinking the enemy is dead when he clearly isn't. – It becomes quite obvious that the enemy did not die for us, how can they be stupid?
They talk while they fight – Some conversations are as long as fights, the villain always makes a speech.
Shout out the name of the power you're going to use – Characters spend time yelling the name of each attack.
Scream for stronger attacks - It's not enough to speak the name of power, you still have to keep shouting...
The more you shine, the stronger you are – A basic rule of shonen anime, whenever a character is fighting and starts to get stronger he glows.
List of anime cliches
I better sum it up even more because this list will never end. Many of the clichés below are reported by anime fans who always detect some kind of similarity or pattern in most anime, even though some don't make sense.
- Characters always sad;
- Test of courage;
- Overly sweet characters;
- The character with a dark past;
- Battles lasting 10 episodes;
- Japanese food always looks amazing;
- Character who appears to be a woman but is not;
- Exaggerated facial expressions;
- Eyes with different colors from each other;
- That perverted character;
- The main character is nothing original;
- The main character is normal; (trying to be different more became common);
- The villain kills many people and you forgive him;
- Mahou Shoujo, magical girl;
- moe characters;
- Underage girls sexually assaulted;
- Maids – Girls dressed as maids;
- Anime of 12 or 25 episodes;
- Exposed breasts;
- Colored and multicolored hair;
- Ridiculous hairstyles;
- Badass Overpower Character;
- The absent father;
- giant robots;
- Half-human and half-animal characters;
- The main character escapes death;
- Breasts that defy gravity;
- Fanservice OVA;
- blue swimwear sukumizu;
- Horrible childhood;
- Favorite characters die;
- Teenage protagonists;
- Characters using repetitive English or colloquial phrases;
- immortal characters;
- Summer festivals;
- Freeze the screen to give effects;
- Too energetic girls;
- Annoying characters;
- Main character stands by the window in the school;
- Childhood Friend – A cursed one always appears;
- Characters are sent to another dimension or world;
- Transformation scenes;
- Talking with animals;
- You are the chosen one; chibis;
- Girls always fall in love with shy, silent guys;
- The main character's best friend is a big pervert;
- There is an extremely perverted girl that everyone thinks is innocent;
- Foreigners speaking with a strange accent;
- Characters with diseases; Ugly teachers or hot teachers;
- Characters captured by the enemy;
- Characters sent to a special school;
- Showing the panties;
- Overly muscular characters;
- Sad scenes during a rain;
- Secret identities;
- Winter episodes (Christmas and New Year);
I hope you enjoyed this list. Do you know more clichés that were not mentioned in this article? We appreciate the comments and shares. xD