Japan is a country full of events, concerts, conventions and festivals. Do you want to know how to find these events in the country? In this article we will list some events, teach you how to find your favorite event, its dates and also how to buy the necessary tickets. Whether it's a cultural event, a band concert or an Otaku anime convention, you'll find it in Japan!
We also recommend reading:
- List of Festivals in Japan – Matsuri in Japanese
- Most bizarre festivals from Japan | Suki Desu
- Bunkasai – Japan School Cultural Festivals
How are tickets sold in Japan?
In Japan, concert tickets are made available in several stages. In general, the sooner you can get tickets, the sooner you'll have access to the venue and the better chance of getting the best seats.
Usually the steps are:
Fan kurabu senkō hanbai 「ファンクラブ先行販売」- Exclusive sale to fan club members: These tickets are the most coveted and the first to go on sale. To access them, you must join the artist's or band's official fan club for an annual fee. In some cases, the exclusive sale can be carried out by drawing lots.
Enkō chūsen 「先行抽選」 – Pre-sale raffle for the public: At this stage, anyone can participate in the raffle to try to get tickets for the show.
Senkō senchaku 「先行先着」 – Pre-sale to the public: If tickets have not yet sold out in the previous steps, you can pre-order them. Pre-orders often include additional fees and have limited payment options.
Ippan hatsubai「一般発売」- General Sale: If tickets are still available, they will go on sale to the general public. In these last steps, tickets can be purchased through ticket purchase sites, travel agencies, ticket offices and other channels.
It is important to remember that, depending on the artist or band, tickets for concerts can sell out quickly, especially in the first stages of sales.
If you're interested in attending a specific show, it's important to keep an eye out for on-sale dates and try to get tickets as early as possible. In addition, it is important to check the rules and conditions of purchase of each sales channel, as they may vary.
Where to buy tickets in Japan?
Tickets for concerts, events and conventions in Japan can be purchased through a variety of channels, including:
- 24-hour Convenience Stores: Usually event shows can be found at these venues;
- Ticket purchase sites: There are several websites that specialize in selling concert tickets in Japan, such as Ticket Pia and Ticketbis. These sites often offer a wide range of events and generally allow you to purchase tickets online with a credit card.
- Travel agencies: Some travel agencies offer travel packages that include tickets to concerts and other events. This can be a convenient option if you are planning a trip to Japan.
- Box offices: Many concerts in Japan have on-site ticket booths, where you can purchase tickets on the day of the event or on days following. However, it's important to remember that tickets can sell out quickly, especially for popular events.
- Through fan clubs: As mentioned earlier, some shows offer exclusive tickets to members of the artist's or band's fan clubs. To access these tickets, you must join the fan club for an annual fee.
- Other channels: Some shows may offer tickets through other channels such as department stores, supermarkets and other outlets. It's always a good idea to check the available channels in advance to buy tickets for the show you want to see.
Read too: Konbini – Convenience stores in Japan
Japan's Biggest Anime Events
Looking for anime events? The main anime events in Japan are:
- Tokyo International Anime Fair: This event is held annually in March in Tokyo and is one of the most important anime events in the world. It includes product exhibitions, lectures and presentations of new anime series.
- AnimeJapan: This event is held annually in March in Tokyo and is one of the most important anime events in the world. It includes product exhibitions, lectures and presentations of new anime series.
- Comiket: This event is held twice a year, in August and December, in Tokyo. It is the largest event for manga and doujinshi (independent publications) in the world, and attracts millions of visitors from all over the country.
- Tokyo Game Show: This event is held annually in September in Tokyo and is one of the biggest gaming events in the world. It includes product exhibitions, lectures and presentations of new games.
- Jump Party: This event is held annually in December in Tokyo and is one of the most important anime and manga events in the world. It includes product exhibitions, lectures and presentations of new anime series.
These are just a few examples of major anime events in Japan. There are many other smaller and regional events that are also very popular with anime fans. It's always a good idea to research and check the schedule of events before planning a trip to Japan.
How to find events and concerts in Japan?
There are several ways to find events and concerts in Japan. See below what you can do to find events and concerts in Japan:
- Use apps specialized in events and shows: There are many apps that offer information about events and concerts across Japan.
- Search ticket buying sites: Many ticketing websites, such as Ticket Pia and Ticketbis, offer information about events and concerts in Japan.
- See the websites for the cities and regions you plan to visit: Many cities and regions in Japan have websites that list events and concerts taking place in the region.
- Search on tourism websites: Many tourism websites offer information about events and shows in different cities and regions of Japan.
- Follow artists and bands: If you're a fan of a specific artist or band, you can follow their profile on social media or subscribe to their newsletter to receive updates on upcoming events and shows.
In addition, there are many other places you can find information about events and shows in Japan, such as travel guides, newspapers and magazines, and even asking other travelers or people who live in Japan.
It's always a good idea to research and compare several different sources to make sure you're getting the most accurate and up-to-date information possible.
Sites and Apps to find shows and events in Japan
Generally, the sites mentioned above may have an application to download from the App Store or Play Store, so it might be worth doing a search. Other apps that can help are:
There are several apps for Android and iOS that allow you to buy tickets for concerts and events in Japan and find information about these events. Some examples include:
- Ticket Sink: This app is one of the most popular apps for purchasing tickets in Japan and offers a wide range of events including concerts, sports, theater and more. It is available for both Android and iOS.
- Ticketbis: Ticketbis is another popular ticketing app in Japan that offers a wide variety of events across the country. It is also available for both Android and iOS.
- Ticket.jp: Ticket.jp is an application specializing in purchasing tickets for events in Japan, including concerts, sports, theater and others. It is available for both Android and iOS.
- Tokyo Calendar: Tokyo Calendar is an app that provides information about events and activities in Tokyo, including concerts, exhibitions, festivals and more. It is available for both Android and iOS.
- Japan Official Travel App: The Japan Official Travel App is an official Japan tourism app that provides information on events and activities across the country, including concerts, festivals, exhibitions and more. It is available for both Android and iOS.
Locations where concerts and events are held in Japan
There are many famous places in Japan that host sporting events and music concerts. Some examples are:
- Nippon Budokan: Located in Tokyo, Nippon Budokan is one of the most famous concert venues in Japan, with a capacity of approximately 14,500 people.
- Yokohama Arena: Located in Yokohama, Yokohama Arena is one of the most important concert venues in Japan, with a capacity of approximately 17,000 people.
- Osaka-jō Hall: Located in Osaka, Osaka-jō Hall is one of the most famous concert venues in Japan, with a capacity of approximately 16,000 people.
- Kyocera Dome Osaka: Located in Osaka, Kyocera Dome Osaka is one of the largest concert venues in Japan, with a capacity of approximately 42,000 people.
- Saitama Super Arena: Located in Saitama, Saitama Super Arena is one of the most important concert venues in Japan, with a capacity of approximately 37,000 people.
These are just a few examples of the most famous concert venues in Japan. There are many other venues across the country that host events and concerts of various kinds.