In this article, we are going to see some scary and depressing facts about the 2011 Tohoku earthquake and tsunami. Some data may not be accurate.
- Magnitude: 9.0
- Energy released: 480 megatons (a magnitude 9.0 earthquake releases more energy than 32,000 magnitude 6.0 earthquakes)
- Energy released was 600.000.000 times the energy of the Hiroshima bomb
- The size of the earthquake was the fifth biggest in history of the world;
- The duration of the strong earthquake shake was up to 5 minutes.
- The number of replicas had more than 900 tremors secondary ones that can last for years;
- In the first replica there was 3 tremors of magnitude 7.0 or greater 45 minutes from the earthquake
- The earthquake changed the entire island of Japan (Honshu) leaving 2.4 meters closest to North America
- The earthquake displaced the Earth's axis 10 cm
- The tremor made the days shorter by: 1.8 microseconds
- Japan's earthquake warning system sent a warning to Tokyo residents: 1 minute before the Tokyo earthquake
- The earthquake changed the 180 km width of the seabed stretch by up to 8 meters (26 feet);
- The height of the tsunami peak was 40.5 meters (133 feet) in Miyako - which is equivalent to a 13-story building;
- A 3-meter tsunami is already considered large.
- The tsunami hit up to 10 km in Sendai;
- Total area of land covered by the tsunami is 561 km².
- Total area of icebergs that the tsunami hit in Antarctica was 125km².
- Sendai residents had 8 minutes before the tsunami hit;
- The number of people who managed to evacuate before the tsunami arrived was 42%.
- More than 101 evacuation sites were hit by the tsunami;
The Fukushima nuclear disaster
- The size of the waves that hit the Fukushima Plant were 15 meters.
- Number of complete nuclear leaks at the nuclear plant were 3;
- Communities were instructed to maintain a distance of around 25 km from the disaster site;
- More than 100,000 people were affected in the first few days alone;
- Severity of the Fukushima disaster on the International Nuclear Occurrence Scale was: 7 (maximum severity)
- The estimated cost of the disaster was more than 300 billion dollars.
- More of 45.700 buildings were destroyed;
- More of 230.000 automobiles and trucks were destroyed;
- More of 15,828 people were killed and 3.760 missing;
- 378 deaths and 158 disappearances were of children;
- 236 children were orphaned;
Despite all these frightening data, we must make it clear that despite all these earthquakes and tsunamis, Japan is a much safer country than our beloved Brazil. So don't have to use Japan as something dangerous or scary. Many more people die in 1 year in Brazil because of violence and recklessness in traffic than in 20 years of earthquakes and tsunamis in Japan. To learn more about earthquakes and tsunamis in Japan read the following articles: