Today technology is increasingly advanced, and something that has been growing in recent years is Artificial Intelligence (AI). Can artificial intelligence help you learn Japanese?
One of the most popular artificial intelligence APIs is OpenAI's GPT, which by the end of 2022 is in its third version. This API can create any text, chat and even generate images and sounds.
The main advantage of artificial intelligence is the time you spend finding the answer to your problems. I myself spent days looking on Google, forums and WhatsApp groups, programming doubts that artificial intelligence solved in seconds.
Imagine being able to talk to a super smart person with an answer to any question, that's Artificial Intelligence.
We recommend reading: 10 Artificial Intelligence (AI) from Anime Illustrations
How does Artificial Intelligence help Japanese learners?
Artificial intelligence can be useful in many ways to help people learn Japanese. Some of these ways include:
- Machine translation: There are many machine translation apps and tools that can help you translate words and phrases from Japanese to English and vice versa. This can be helpful for understanding the meaning of words and phrases you don't know.
- Chatbot based learning: There are chatbots designed to help people learn Japanese. They can simulate a conversation with a human tutor, offering exercises and instructions to help users practice and improve their Japanese skills.
- Educational Games and Apps: There are many educational games and apps designed to help people learn Japanese in a fun and interactive way. These apps can include grammar exercises, vocabulary tests, and other activities that help users practice and improve their Japanese skills.
- Virtual Assistants: There are virtual assistants that can help people learn Japanese. They can provide grammar explanations, answer language questions, and offer exercises and activities to help users practice and improve their Japanese skills.
We recommend reading: Artificial Intelligence – All about AI, in Japan and the World
How ChatGPT can help you learn Japanese
OpenAI's artificial intelligence, ChatGPT can help you in many ways to learn Japanese. Some of these ways are:
- Offer grammar explanations: Detailed explanations of Japanese grammar, including the different types of words and how they are used in the sentence.
- Answering questions: If you have any questions about Japanese, artificial intelligence will try to help you find the answer.
- Provide usage examples: ChatGPT can provide examples of how words and phrases are used in context, to help you better understand how they are used in spoken language.
- Offer exercises and activities: Artificial Intelligence can suggest exercises and activities to help you practice and improve your Japanese skills.
- Guidance on learning resources: ChatGPR can provide you with tips and suggestions on learning resources such as books, apps, and websites that can help you learn Japanese more efficiently.
These are just some of the ways that Artificial Intelligence can help you. With my personal experience, I was able to translate sentences with all the details and explanations down to the particles and their function in the sentence.
ChatGPT also accurately answered explanations about Japanese grammar, was able to translate and explain sentences from Portuguese to Japanese, and even generate sentences that contain any word of interest to me, perfect for spaced memorization.
See in the video below my experience with chatGPT:
The Problems of Artificial Intelligence When Studying Japanese
An artificial intelligence does not intentionally make mistakes. However, it can sometimes give incorrect or inappropriate answers if your programs or training data are flawed or if the user's question is too vague or ambiguous.
The AI may also not be able to understand the user's question if it is too complex or if the artificial intelligence has not been trained to deal with that type of question.
Overall, it tries its best to provide accurate and useful information to its users, but sometimes it fails to do so. If you have any questions or find any information incorrect in her answers, don't hesitate to let her know so she can correct herself. That's right, she manages to find your flaws and correct your answers.
For this reason, we recommend having a basic knowledge of the Japanese language to be able to easily detect the errors suggested by the Artificial Intelligence.
Despite the negative points, using an AI to learn Japanese is an incredible experience, it will be a good helper, and will give you the necessary support when you have any doubts, just don't forget Suki Desu.