It was recently announced that the visa for yonseis has been approved and that it will be implemented as of July 1, 2018. This type of visa that will be implemented is different from what was already granted to yonseis. This new system is not the 'Working Holiday' itself, but was based on it. know more.
The visa that will be implemented in July - Specific activities (特定活動; 'tokutei katsudo') - will allow the yonsei to work in Japan.
Requirements for applicants
The visa will be exclusive to the descendants of Japanese of the fourth generation (great-grandson of Japanese). These must meet the requirements mentioned below.
- They must be between 18 - 30 years old;
- They should receive help / support from relatives and / or the employer;
- They may not have a criminal record;
- Have the amount that ensures the return to the country of origin
- Have health insurance in the country;
- Have the N4 certificate of proficiency in Japanese to apply for a visa and the N3 to renew. (Renewal must be done annually)
- The stay will be a maximum of 5 years;
Analyzing the Requirements
Analyzing all the requirements, it is clear that the Japanese government thought very carefully about the 'type' of Yonsei that they want to attract to the country.
Young people who have no criminal record and who have someone to help them once they are in the country - whether they become ill or do not adapt - whether they are a relative or an employer. Who have an interest in Japanese culture and basic knowledge of the language, who can endure long working hours, study, and who also want to grow professionally.
We also recommend reading: