Do you know how personalities speak in Japanese? Have you ever heard of Japanese personalities deredere? You probably have heard about tsundere, yandere, kuudere and dandere. In this article we will talk about Japanese personalities.
If you’ve ever watched anime, you probably must have met a character with a strong and different personality. In this article we will talk a little about each type of Dere, its origin and some examples of anime characters with these personalities.
In addition to deredere, let’s share a list of words that describe Japanese personalities. To help navigate this article, let’s leave a summary. I hope you enjoy and share with friends. Xd
Article Summary - What does Deredere mean? - What does Tsundere mean? --- Tsundere Character List - What does Yandere mean? --- Yandere Character List - What does Dandere mean? - バンデ3レ --- Dandere Character List - What does Kuudere mean?- クーデレ --- Kuudere Character List - Other types of redere --- List of Personalities in Japanese - Videos about Deredere personalities
What does Deredere mean?
It became a great cliche in the animes to put characters representing some of these Japanese personalities, being the most popular the tsundere girls. These characteristics are distinct and original and the Japanese are the only ones who classify them.
All four of these personalities cited are related to loving feelings. Let’s start by seeing the more Neutral of them, the dere that gave rise to everything. It is a Japanese onomatopoeia that means redere.
Japanese onomatopeia DEREDERE [デレデレ] expresses a kind and passionate feeling. The word Deredere refers to an energetic, cheerful and kind person with other people around. They’re literally kind girls.
The other personalities who also carry half the onomatopoeia deredere, usually mixes another type of personality, but remains kind to TV viewers, or such a characteristic, even strange becomes cute.
Some examples of totally kind and deredere characters is Toradora’s Minori Kushieda, an energetic, cute and totally cheerful girl. We can also cite by example to Miyuki Takara of Lucky Star and Haruka Morishima of Amagami.
What does Tsundere mean?
Among the personalities derived from dere, tsundere is the most popular of animes. It is a cold, violent, annoying person, but who deep down has feelings but can not demonstrate them.
Tsundere is a combination of tsuntsun [ツンツン] and deredere [デレデレ] onomatopoeas. Tsuntsun is the onomatopoeia for “far away; melancholic; imprisoned”, while deredere as we have already mentioned, it is something kind.
There is also a male version for people with this personality, but with a stronger attitude, Called Oranyan. Among the most famous Tsundere characters, we have Taiga and Toradora.
Tsundere is so important that it has already been portrayed as a main feature of MoE characters, although it is generally not quite so. I agree that I am attracted to characters who demonstrate the tsuntsun.
List of Tsundere Characters
Below is a list of popular tsundere characters in the animes:
- Misaka Mikoto (To Aru Kagaku no Railgun)
- Aisaka Taiga (Toradora!)
- Serizawa Fumino (Mayoi Neko Overrun!)
- Senjogahara Hitagi (Bakemonogatari)
- Naruko Anjou (Anohana)
- Azunyan (K-ON!)
- Minami Shimada (Baka to Test)
- Katsura Hinagiku (Hayate no Gotoku)
- Asuka Langley
- Sanzenin Nagi (Hayate no Gotoku)
- Louise Françoise Le Blanc de La Vallière (Familiar of Zero)
- Shana (Shakugan no Shana)
- Aria Holmes Kanzaki (Aria the Scarlet Ammo)
- Hiiragi Kagami (Lucky Star)
- Haqua du Rot Herminium (World Only God Knows)
- Vegeta (Dragon Ball)
- Kurisu Makise (Steins; Gate)
- Ayuzawa Misaki(Maid-Sama!)
- Mio Akiyama (K-on!)
- Izumi Akazawa (Another)
- Tsukasa Ayatsuji (Amagami)
- I used Masamune (Mayo Chiki!)
- Kanna Tanigawa (Waiting in the Summer)
- Yui Kotegawa (To Love-Ru)
- Yui (Angel Beats!)
- Houki Shinonono (IS-Infinite Stratos -)
- Kyou Fujibayashi
- Minko Tsurugi (Hanasaku Iroha)
- Suiseiseki (Rozen Maiden)
- Victorique de Blois (Gosick)
- Mio Isurugi (MM!)
- Minase Iori (Idol Master)
- Rin Tosaka (Fate/stay night)
- Corporal Giroro (Keroro Gunso)
- Airi Sena (Mashiroiro Symphony)
- Funami Yui
- Shinku (Rozen Maiden)
- Tainaka Ritsu (K-on!)
- Aoba Tsukishima (Cross Game)
- Suigintou (Rozen Maiden)
- Yuzan Kaibara
- Zakuro (Otome Yokai Zakuro)
- Asuna Kagurazaka (Negima!)
- Hiyoko Tamaizumi (We Without Wings)
- Maka Albarn (Soul Eater)
- Kotoko Aihara (Kiss Itazura na)
- Review (Black Lagoon)
- Ogi Chika
- Retsu Kai – (Ggrappler Baki)
- Haruko Amay (Maken-ki!)
What does Yandere mean?
Yandere [ヤンデレ] onomatopeia comes from the verb yanderu [病んでる] meaning a sick person. That is, a person who is madly in love, crazy about someone capable of doing things like killing, and can come to be violent even with the loved one.
His personality is initially kind, pleasant and does anything for the loved one. There is also another term called Yangire that refers to girls who suddenly become violent not out of love but for some trauma or something like that.
List of Yandere Characters
Below is a list of popular yandere characters in the animes:
- Minase Yuka (11 eyes)
- Akazawa Izumi (Another)
- Ogura Yumi (Another)
- Sugiura Takako (Another)
- Himeji Mizuki (Baka no Test to Shoukanjuu)
- Kirishima Shouko (Baka no Test to Shoukanjuu)
- Hotarubi (Basilisk)
- Kagerou (Basilisk)
- Asakura Miu
- Shiro (Deadman Wonderland)
- Takami Minatsuki (Deadman Wonderland)
- Harima Mika
- Niekawa Haruna
- Yagiri Namie
- Nana (Elfen Lied)
- Lucy (Elfen Lied)
- Mariko (Elfen Lied)
- Killed Sakura (Fate/stay night)
- Kagura (Gintama)
- Elsa DeSica (Gunslinger Girl)
- Yasuri Nanami (Katanagatari)
- Oginome Ringo (Mawaru Penguindrum)
- Will of Abyss (Pandora Hearts)
- Charlotte (Pandora Hearts)
- Shinohara Wakaba (Revolutionary Girl Utena)
- Suigintou (Rozen Maiden)
- Tohno Akiha (Shingetsutan Tsukihime)
- Kiryuu Moeka (Steins; Gate)
- Fuyou Kaede (Shuffle)
- Ushiromiya Rosa (Umineko)
- Ushiromiya Maria (Umineko)
- Nakahara Misaki (NHK)
What does Dandere mean?
Dandere [ダンデレ] e refers to people with quiet but super discreet and silent personality, opening up only to people of trust after many difficulties. It’s someone antisocial and retracted.
Despite these problems, dandere shows a sweet, smooth and romantic side. Its origin comes from the word danmari [だんまり]meaning silent and the one who speaks little. Dandere are silent for his shame and Shyness.
Dandere Character List
Below is a list of popular dandere characters in the animes:
- Hinata Hyuga (Naruto)
- Mathilda Alster
- Haruka Nogizaka (Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu)
- Misaki Etou (Dragon Crisis!)
- Mikuru Asahina (Suzumiya Haruhi no Yūutsu)
- Shiomiya Shiori (Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai)
- Kotomi Ichinose, Nagisa Furukawa (CLANNAD)
- Shinobu Maehara (Love Hina)
- Sae Nakata (Amagami SS)
- Wendy Marvell (Fairy Tail)
- Aries (Fairy Tail)
- Mizore Shirayuki (Rosario + Vampire)
- Kazane Hiyori (Sora no Otoshimono)
- Mio Kitahara (Natsu Year of Matteru)
- Itsuwa (To Aru Majutsu no Index)
- Hina Sakai (Hoshizora and Kakaru Hashi)
- Yakumo Tsukamoto (School Rumble)
- Aoi Futaba (Asobi ni Iku yo!)
- Mio Akiyama (K-ON!)
- Sawako Kuronuma (Kimi ni Todoke)
- Kiri Komori (Sayonara Zetsubō Sensei)
- Yoshino (Date A Live)
- Historia Reiss (Shingeki no Kyojin)
- Anri Sonohara (Durarara!!)
What does Kuudere mean?
Kuudere [クーデレ]refers to people with a cold, indifferent and inexpressive personality, a person with a lack of emotions looking like a robot. They’re discreet and quiet, and sometimes they don’t understand their own emotions.
Kuudere is the combination of words kuuru (クール), which is a gairaigo of the cool English word meaning fresh, cold, calm and cool. In short, it’s a character I acted indifferent while in love.
List of kuudere Characters
Below is a list of popular kuudere characters in the animes:
- C.C (Code Geass)
- Riza Hawkeye (Fullmetal Alchemist)
- Raiden (the Metal Gear series)
- Naoto Shirogane (Persona 4)
- Presea Combatir (Tales of Symphonia)
- Homura Akemi (Puella Magi Madoka Magica)
- Sesshōmaru (Inuyasha))
- Shiki Ryougi (Kara no Kyoukai)
- Koneko Toujou (HighSchool DxD)
- Yayoi Kunizuka (Psycho-Pass)
- Origami Tobiichi (Date A Live)
- Carla (Fairy Tail)
- Byakuya Kuchiki (Bleach)
- Tabitha (Zero No Tsukaima)
- Sailor Pluto (Sailor Moon)
- Fate Testarossa (Mahou Shojou Lyrical Nanoha)
- Baba (Ojamajo Doremi)
- Ikaros (Heaven’s Lost Property)
- Ange Ushiromiya (Umineko: When they Cry)
- Freudia Neuwahl (Rosenkreuzstilette)
- Mara Jade Skywalker (Star Wars: Expanded Universe)
- Setsuna Higashi (Fresh Pretty Cure)
- Raven (Teen Titans)
- Yuri Tsukikage (HeartCach Pretty Cure)
- Alice Shiratori
- Aisa Himegami (To aru majutsu no Index)
- Piccolo (Dragon Ball Z)
Other types of deredere
Kamidere – A person who likes to be treated as a deity, who wants to be above all, above all. You tend to believe that it is the most perfect and infallible, and that you should receive special attention and priority.
Himedere – Refers to girls who like to command and rule others. Most of the time she’s the daughter of rich people, and she’s got a little tsundere personality.
Undere – ウンデレ – A friendly person who agrees with everything, responds mostly sometimes “Un – “That’s a yes, an agreement) or sometimes with “sodayone [そーだよね] – “This is right, that’s right).
Coo-dere – クーデレ – Refers to a person with a friendly personality and at the same time cold. Example: Suzumiya Haruhi presents himself as an energetic and friendly and at the same time cold person.
List of personalities in Japanese
Now let’s share a list of general personalities in Japanese. In the list you will have some expressions already conjugated, adjectives without conjugation. It is recommended to search more about words before using them.
Usually you can use na-hito a[な人]fter adjective to say that she is a person with certain characteristic. In some cases you can use no-aru [のある]to say that the person has certain characteristic.
|大望のある||taimou no aru||ambitious|
|自信のある||jishin no aru||self-confident|
|ビール腹のある人||biiru bara no aru hito||beer belly|
|カリスマ性のある||karisumasei no aru||charismatic|
|創造力のある||souzouryoku no aru||creative|
|好奇心の強い||koukishin no tsuyoi||curious|
|決断力のある||ketsudan no aru||decisive|
|のんびりした人||nonbiri shita hito||cold|
|マリファナを吸う人||marifana wo suu hito||marijuana smoker|
|想像力のある||souzouryoku no aru||imaginative|
|頭がいい||atama ga ii||intelligent|
|直観力のある||chokkanryoku no aru||intuitive|
|論理的思考のある人||ronritekishikou no aru hito||logical thinker|
|頭の回転がいい||atama no kaiten ga ii||quick thinking|
|洞察力のある||dousatsuryoku no aru||perceptive|
|直接に言う人||chokusetsu ni iu hito||simple|
|才能のある||sainou no aru||talented|
|人見知り||hitomishiri||shy around strangers|
|天性の指導者||tensei no shidousha||born leader|
|精力家||seiryokka||full of vigor|
|迫力にあふれる人||hakuryoku ni afureru hito||directed|
|天然の人||Tennen no hito||elegant|
|流行に敏感||ryuukou ni binkan||Modern|
|感じやすい人||kanji yasui hito||sensitive|
Videos about personalities deredere
To finalize the article, we will share some videos that talk about this subject of tsundere, yandere, kuudere and dandere: